These intense bursts of flavour can come from lime, lemon or orange, and from the juice, the skin or the flesh itself.
Slightly sweet and tangy elements come from grapefruit and oranges or add a sour zing to savoury dishes with lemons and limes. Raid your fruit bowl to add this distinctive boost.
- Finely chop the flesh of a lime and add to a green salad.
- Add grated lemon rind to crushed garlic and chopped parsley to make a classic gremolata.
- Ceviche, a South American dish, is made from the freshest fish soaked in lime juice to ‘cook'.
- When roasting a leg of lamb, go Greek-style. Add lemon juice and wedges to the roasting pan. Add pan juices to the gravy.
- Make a simple Italian fennel and orange segment salad with an orange and olive oil dressing.
- Combine lime juice, sweet chilli and fish sauce to dress noodles.
- Toss cooked broccoli with grated lemon zest and parmesan.
- Make a marinade for chicken by combining orange zest, orange juice, olive oil, garlic and thyme.
- Grapefruit pairs well with seafood such as scallops.
- Make a citrus salsa with chopped orange, lime and grapefruit flesh, coriander leaves and sliced chilli. Serve with grilled fish.